An epiphany!


It came to me while I was sharpening about 100 colored pencils for Sophia. The pencils have been around for a while, a collection of hand me downs from my dad, my brothers, and I. As I was sharpening I reminisced about art class and art projects I used to do. Colored pencils were my favorite medium growing up. I liked the way they blended better than crayons or markers. Then it brought back memories of 7th grade art class. I didn't know anyone in the class and sat next to a girl who is still a close friend today. We had to make album covers so we named our made up group "The Beetles" and drew little six legged bugs playing instruments and renamed Beatles songs. It was so much fun. Art class was always fun, there was no right or wrong answer, it was all about interpretation. I never took an art class in high school. Don't know why, mostly likely because none of my friends were taking it. As a nanny, I always had art projects going with the kids. When Sophia came along I had her doing arts and crafts as soon as she was old enough. I even signed her up for an art class at the Magic House in St. Louis at age 1. She loved it. Anyway, I digress.... Back to the epiphany.
I was sharpening pencils, reliving memories, and it hits me- AN ART TEACHER!!!! I love arts and crafts and I love being creative. So I will call Wright State this week and see what I need to do to get started. Hopefully all the gen-eds I took 17 years ago (really 17 years ago, I am OLD!)are still valid and I don't have to retake too many of them. I will most likely wait to start in the fall. I'd like to hope things will be more settled by then.

2 comments:

bearing said...

Heh. I still remember that art class with the album covers. In fact it's what I immediately thought of when you started going on about colored pencils.

As a homeschooler, I do a lot more art appreciation with my kids than art-making. I'm not very talented, and I hate having to deal with messes. Pretty sad.

The Harveys said...

I'm not very talented in the artmaking department, either but the good thing is, with little ones, it's not very important. Sophia has been pretty good about cleaning up her messes lately. I keep a small basket of tape, scissors, and those sticky foam shapes at her disposal and she comes up with a lot of good stuff on her own.

Post a Comment