Back to school thoughts.


When the decision was made to move to Ohio I started thinking about heading back to school to finish my degree. But in what? I changed my major 3 times when I went before and none of them ever felt quite right. Elementary education, early childhood education, and finally international studies. Each one felt right at the time but once I got into it, I just could never see myself doing it for the rest of my life. I felt no passion or calling for any of those.
Then one day I found my calling and I truly had a passion for it- travel. Ten years ago flight attendants were still glamorous and exciting. I knew with all of my heart it was what I wanted to do, needed to do, even. I gave up on school and started interviewing with airlines. I was offered a spot in a training class at TWA. I loaded up my car and headed to St. Louis. Sure, I was scared and alone but I felt that tug. I was a flight attendant for 2 years and then, well, 9-11. And suddenly the passion died. I was engaged to Joe by that time and planning an Ohio wedding. I hated going to work on high alert, the joy was gone. And my attentions shifted, I wanted to be home with Joe and I started thinking about babies. So when the furlough came I had no problem with it. I went back to what I knew best, kids. I was a nanny for several different families for the next 8 years. When Sophia was born she just tagged along. And it was perfect. I love kids and they loved me. Sophia was an only child but got to experience being a sibling during the day. Now Sophia is older, heading to kindergarten next fall, and there is a good possibility she will be an only child, so I will have a lot of free time on my hands. A nagging voice appeared in my head. (Oh wait, that's just my mom.) I wondered what I would do with my days. It would be the ideal time to go back to school. Now I just need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment