Neglecting my blogging.....


I can't believe all of the creative things that have been going on that I have missed blogging about.  I have to admit that sometimes I read other blogs and feel a little inferior and so uncreative.  But then I realize that creativity is relative and subjective.  For instance I did come up with this:
Plus I've been all kinds of creative in the kitchen now that we have a big kitchen with lots of counter space.  Thanks to a tip from a friend I got a great deal on a yogurt maker at Tuesday Morning.  Sophia and I love yogurt and yogurt smoothies but I am hesitant to give her the flavored yogurts they sell at the store, plus buying so much of it was getting pricey.  So I ventured into the world of making my own yogurt.  Attempt #1 was a disaster, it didn't set at all in 8 hours.  Turns out an instant read thermometer is not the best for making yogurt. ;-)  All of my poor little active cultures got killed off before they even had a chance.  Attempt #2 was OK.  Edible but really runny.  That's what I get for meeting a friend for coffee and leaving Joe in charge.  Lesson learned.  Attempt #3 was declared a success by all!  I even made a batch for Dad, who had never had plain yogurt.  He added a little agave nectar and frozen berries and it was perfect.  I put mine in smoothies with frozen berries, honey or agave nectar, flax meal, and OJ.  Yummy!  Sophia prefers hers mixed with a teeny bit of honey and layered with frozen berries and granola.  I have also used it instead of sour cream.  I love that it's so versatile and easy to make.
I also got a food dehydrator that I'm still testing out.  For my first go round I did pineapple rings, green grapes, and fruit leather with applesauce and blueberries.  The fruit leather was a hit Sophia ate the whole batch in one day.  I know I probably shouldn't have let that happen but I was just so happy she loved it and that it was a success.  The pineapples didn't turn out so well.  12 hours and they were still pretty juicy.  I sliced them in 1/2 inch slices per the "cookbook" and that was probably too thick.  Next time I will go thinner and try to rotate them more often.  The grapes were a complete failure.  They started to turn a little brown but that's about it.  They didn't even start to wrinkle after 12 hours.  Guess I'll have to play around with that one a little more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment